Supporting your learning with access to thousands of books, 340,000 ebooks, 25,000 journals and electronic resource collections. Our libraries provide a complete range of services and support to enhance your academic and study skills. Please note that guest and visitor access to our libraries is currently suspended.
We are extremely proud of our library services, and don't believe they should only be restricted to student use. Unfortunately, due to the current pandemic, we are not presently able to share these facilities with guests or visitors and ask that you allow us to keep these spaces safe for our current students and staff.
We will post information, on this page, as soon as we are able to welcome visitors back and you can email email@example.com to ask to be notified when we have reopened our doors to you.
All of our libraries provide access to the Eduroam wireless network which allows students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to obtain internet connectivity when visiting other participating institutions, as long as you have completed the Eduroam sign-up process at your home institution.
If you are a student or member of staff at a Sconul Access member university, you may be able to join our library free of charge. You will not have access to networked computers. ‘Walk-in’ access to a subset of our electronic resources is available. Please check the Sconul website for details of the scheme.
If you have been a University of Cumbria student, the annual cost of library membership is £35. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Even if you haven’t been a Cumbria student, you can join the library as a fee-paying borrower. Annual membership is £50.
You will not have access to networked computers. ‘Walk-in’ access to a subset of our electronic resources is available.
Supporting your learning with access to thousands of books, 340,000 ebooks, 25,000 journals and electronic resource collections. Our libraries provide a complete range of services and support to enhance your academic and study skills.
The libraries at our main campuses in Carlisle, Lancaster, London and Ambleside offer an outstanding variety of features and facilities including:
- Print and electronic books and journals.
- We subscribe to many on-line resources that allow students to access thousands of books. 340,000 ebooks and over 210,000 print books via OneSearch
- 25,000 full-text scholarly journals
- 140 electronic resource collections which contain huge quantities of such material as journal articles, conference proceedings, images, videos, reports, maps, teaching materials, etc.
- All students can recommend books for the library by using the Get More Books service
- We produce subject pages to help students know which library resources are good for their course
- Access your module reading lists via the library’s online reading list system
- Individual, group and online library searching skills support via the skills@cumbria service
- Insight is the institutional research repository for the University of Cumbria, providing immediate and free worldwide access to the scholarly outputs of our staff and researchers.
- A range of study areas for group work, quiet work and silent study. There are bookable study rooms at Ambleside, Carlisle and Lancaster.
- Internet connected PCs and wireless access.
- Laptops and a range of media equipment to borrow.
- Printing, scanning and photocopying facilities.
- Stationery for sale.
- A collection of items for students on teaching courses to use in their placements (Lancaster and Carlisle only).
- Access to help and support, including academic and study skills.
- Access to a ‘virtual librarian’ through webchat to help you with referencing and a range of academic and study skills.
The University Centre at Furness has teaching and flexible study space as well as a core collection of textbooks, and can be used by university students in the Furness area.
For more information on our libraries, contact the Library team.